Next week I’ll be on a plane to Peru to see Machu Picchu! I’ve been alternating between feeling REALLY excited and feeling like this could be a VERY bad idea.
Several months ago, I had a small quarter-life crisis and decided to finally get off my ass and just GO somewhere. Machu Picchu had been on my bucket list for a while, and I was all like “WOOHOO, LET’S GO!” I could’ve been like any other intelligent person and opted to take a train. Instead I had the bizarre mindset of “Go big or go home, IMMA TAKE THE HIKE!” So I signed up for the 4 day hike. Here’s why this could turn into the most miserable vacation of my life:
- I’m not a morning person. AT ALL. I work evening shifts so that I don’t have to deal with the mornings. The schedule for this hike shows that I’ll be getting up at 4:30am-5:30 am for 4 days straight. Well, shit.
- I’m not very athletic. I work out fairly regularly, but it’s only for short periods of time and not very vigorously. I’ve heard about multi-marathon runners having a rough time on this hike. Uh oh.
- I’ve never actually “roughed it” in my life. The only time I came close to camping was when I went to a campsite with my family, slept in a tent, but the tent was conveniently placed right next to a cabin with running water and showers. So…yeah. Not a whole lot of outdoor experience to speak of.
- Related to the above point regarding never really roughing it: I’m not a priss (I don’t care if I stay at a cheap hotel vs. a 5-star resort), but I DO care about hygiene. Not showering for 4 days straight is either going to desensitize me to my own gunk, or it’s going to put my germophobe ways into overdrive. Guess we’ll find out soon enough. WET WIPES FTW.
- Also related: I’ve never had to try to take a dump in the woods. I won’t go into detail about why this could pose a problem, but I’d say it’s pretty self-explanatory.
So…even with all that, I’m still SUPER EXCITED about this trip. This could be awesome, or this could be miserable. Either way I plan on eating a guinea pig. I’ll see you guys in a couple of weeks! 🙂