New York City, I’m coming back for you! And I’ve decided to take some critters with me! The last time I visited New York with critters in tow I got a fantastic reception (I even got a writeup in the local news!), and I’m back to do it all over again. I’ll be in town from 6/8-6/11, but I’ll only be doing drops from 6/8-6/10, and I’ll be spending most of my time around Manhattan. I’ll have 3 critters with me and I’ll drop one each day from Friday-Sunday, so keep an eye out! Here’s who I’ll be bringing with me:
A little Canadian.
A little flying space hamster.
And a kid from Queens.
If you’ve never followed my drops before, here’s what you need to know:
- Follow me either on facebook or twitter, but I highly suggest twitter for drop-tracking. Facebook does a weird thing where it doesn’t show my posts in real-time based on whatever magical algorithm they use to control people’s newsfeeds.
- Follow the hashtag #CRITTERDROP to filter out my tweets if you want to see the ones pertaining to the drops only.
- Set up a twitter mobile alert on your phone! This isn’t required, but it’ll help! This way your phone will buzz every time I make a post on twitter, so you won’t miss a single drop! You might end up with your phone buzzing like crazy if I’m geeking out over something during my trip, but otherwise I’ll try to keep it tame. 😉 Instructions on how to set this up can be found here.
- If you find a critter, let me know that you found it! Please, please, PLEASE check in if you find a critter. Each one is tagged with a card with my contact info. I just ask for two things if you find one: 1) Send me a photo of your new friend, and 2) Let me know where the critter’s new home will be so I can add it to my map! I do this knowing that there’s a potential that anyone could swipe the critter and never get back to me on it, but it doesn’t make it any less disheartening when one goes missing.
- I’ll be dropping one critter per day from Friday-Sunday (6/8-6/10). No pairs/groups of critters.
No specific hints on where my critters will be dropped, but I’ll give a small spoiler for one of them: when I visited NYC last year people were a little disappointed that I dropped a little Captain America in Brooklyn, but didn’t drop little Spider-Man in Queens! (I left him at the New York Times HQ, Peter Parker being a journalist and all) This time I DO have plans in Queens, so this will be a homecoming trip for Spidey this time around (pun intended!). 🙂 For the others I’ll be dropping one per day, and I’ll drop them whenever the time and place feels right!
If you want to join my hunt for crocheted critters in New York City this weekend, follow me on either twitter or facebook to track my drops! I just ask for two things if you find a critter: 1) Send me a photo of your new friend! 2) Let me know where the little buddy’s new home will be! Good luck, and happy hunting!